AirDrop is an Apple device function that enables a sender to swiftly communicate data to another Apple device. AirDrop will operate as long as the recipient’s device is within range of the sender’s. This capability is often used to share images, screenshots, and other types of information such as papers, making transfers fast and straightforward.
AirDrop can broadcast, find, negotiate connections, and utilize point-to-point WiFi to transmit data using Bluetooth LE technology. This allows you to simply transfer all of your photographs, movies, contacts, and other data to another storage location through a fast and secure connection.
For more help with AirDrop, check out our other articles.
When using AirDrop to transfer data between iPhones and iPads, you may see a plethora of alternative Apple IDs to choose from, which may drown out your own. This might be a problem if every gadget around you has the same default name, such as “iPhone” or “iPad.”
How to Change the AirDrop Name on Your iPhone
AirDrop may be quite useful for exchanging files between your Apple devices, but only if you can distinguish yours among the many that may be sharing the same WiFi area as you. To guarantee that all of the files you wish to transfer are sent to the proper device, modify the name.
You may modify the name of your device in your iPhone’s Settings (Settings>General>About), but you’ll see that your AirDrop name remains same. This is due to the fact that your AirDrop function works with your contacts. Instead, you’ll need to change your contact card. Here’s how it’s done:
When others try to AirDrop anything to you, they’ll see the new name you’ve given yourself. By pressing on Add Photo, you may now add a profile photo to your Contact Card.
It may take some time for your device to show in other people’s AirDrop selections after you make these modifications. If you don’t see your name, go to Settings>General>Reset and reset your Network Settings. Your phone will restart and you will be added to the sender’s AirDrop list.
To rename your iPod classic, iPod nano, or iPod shuffle, follow these steps:
- You must connect your iPod gadget to your computer, regardless of version.
- Start iTunes on your PC.
- Locate and choose your device.
- The name of your device should now appear at the top of the left sidebar. Simply click on it.
- Enter your device’s new name, which will be used for AirDrop, and then hit Enter (Return).
- Your device and iTunes will instantly sync, and the new name you set for your iPod will now be displayed.
How to Change the AirDrop Name on Your iPad
If you’re using an iPad, the procedure is somewhat different. Unlike an iPhone, you will not need to update the contacts on your iPad, but you will need to alter the name.
Here’s how to change your AirDrop name on an iPad:
When people search for your iPad, the new name will display in the AirDrop area.
How to Change the AirDrop Name on Your Mac
You may use AirDrop to deliver a document from a smaller Apple gadget to your iMac or Macbook.
You may have observed one device with the display name “Unknown” if you’ve ever tried to transmit data between mobile devices near your Mac. This was most likely your computer.
Before you try to AirDrop files to and from your Mac, you should give it a valid name. When you walk in for the transfer, you will be able to quickly identify it on your local network. Setting or changing the name on a Mac is exactly as simple as it is on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
To change the name of your Mac to something more suitable:
- To conclude, just shut the window after entering in the name.
You can now use AirDrop to wirelessly share documents, images, videos, webpages, map locations, and more to any nearby iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or other Mac.
That is, of course, if you understand how to utilize AirDrop from your Mac. We’ll give you a brief reminder right now.
The first choice is to distribute Finder material. To do this:
- Open the Finder and choose Go > AirDrop. It is accessible through the menu bar.
- AirDrop may also be accessed in the Finder window’s sidebar.
The second option would be to use the Share feature:
- Open the picture, document, or file you’d want to send.
- Within your app, choose Share (this looks like a small box with an arrow pointing up).
- Choose AirDrop from the list of available choices in the Share menu.
- Find and choose a recipient from the AirDrop sheet.
- You must wait for the other device to accept before sending the file.
Similarly, if someone on the same local network attempts to AirDrop off some content, you will have the option of declining or accepting their request. This request will appear as both a notification and within the AirDrop window.
By clicking “Accept,” you can save to downloads or a specific folder, such as Photos. On your Mac, any data you receive is automatically saved to your Downloads folder.
What to Do If You’re Unable to See Other Devices
You now understand how to change the name of your device in order to avoid getting lost among the other devices when attempting an AirDrop. You’ve even done it on your Mac. But what if a device does not appear in the AirDrop window?
If you try to AirDrop content from one device to another and the recipient’s device does not appear, make sure both devices have WiFi and Bluetooth turned on. Both devices should also be within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other.
This is usually all that is required, but there are times when the basics will not suffice. We’ll have to fiddle around with the device’s settings.
Troubleshooting tips for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Check your AirDrop settings in Control Center. If you have AirDrop configured to accept material from “Contacts Only,” both the transmit and receive devices must be iCloud-enabled. In addition, the email address or phone number linked with the sender’s Apple ID must be in your iOS device’s Contacts app.
- When trying to utilize AirDrop, turn off Personal Hotspot. You may disable it by heading to the recipient’s iOS device’s Settings > Cellular.
Fixing the problem on Mac:
- Check that AirDrop is enabled by opening Finder and selecting Go > AirDrop from the menu bar.
- At the bottom of the AirDrop window, check the “Allow me to be found by” box.
- If you have an older Mac (2012 or before), click “Don’t see who you’re searching for? ” in the sharing Mac’s AirDrop window or sharing sheet. After that, choose “Search for an Older Mac.”
- If the receiving Mac is running OS X Mavericks or older, make sure an AirDrop window is open on that Mac by selecting Go > AirDrop from the Finder’s menu bar.
- Check that “Block all incoming connections” is turned off in the receiving Mac’s Security & Privacy options.
Frequently Asked Questions
As you can see, renaming your device is a simple process. Continue reading if you have any further questions.
My device’s name didn’t update. What’s wrong?
If you use the instructions above to change the name of your device and it doesn’t appear right away, turn it off and then back on again. Assuming you verified that the name change occurred using the methods described above, this will resolve the problem.
Another reason your device’s name may be incorrect is that the sending device is already in your contacts. For example, if you’re using a work phone and have it listed in the contacts on the receiving device, the contact may appear as ‘work phone.’
How close do I need to be to the other device to send something via AirDrop?
To send data via AirDrop, your device uses Bluetooth. This means that the sending and receiving devices must be no more than 30 feet apart.
You are looking for information, articles, knowledge about the topic How to Change the Name of Your Airdrop on internet, you do not find the information you need! Here are the best content compiled and compiled by the kookydroidapps.com team, along with other related topics such as: Tech.
Related videos about How to Change the Name of Your Airdrop